Chart of Accounts Resources
Labor Distribution Guide
Where can I look up COA values?
Although COA values will often be provided as defaults when Ignite users are entering transactions, there may be times when there is a need to look up a specific value such as the designation number for an endowment or the purpose code for a type of activity. Two methods have been provided to give users access to the values for each of the seven COA segments.
- The most recent lists of values are available in tables below:
- Look up queries are available in the Financial Management Data Portal. You can also use this Excel File to look up mappings.
How can I request COA changes?
Due to the interconnectedness of Ignite modules and the desire to maintain consistent data within and across fiscal years, changes to the COA will be limited. Several segments – Entity, Department, Fund, Account, and Purpose – will be treated as static values with changes made only at the beginning of a fiscal year. A CoA governance committee has been formed and will consider changes to these values in coordination with the Business Officer Council.
Other segments of the COA are more flexible:
- Designations will be updated each time the University receives a gift with a unique purpose or when new sources of dedicated revenue are created. Requests for Designation values will be received from Business Officer Council members, the Office of Advancement, or the Budget Office. Requests will be reviewed by Gifts and Investment Accounting for conformity with the Designation definition.
- To request a new Designation, use this form.
- Activity codes can be requested if departments determine needs to track transactions that are not satisfied by existing codes. Such requests should be communicated to the appropriate Business Officer for review and are subject to approval by Accounting Operations.
- To request a new Activity, use this form.